Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sledding Accident.

Dear Diary,
Something so terrible happened! It has snowed like crazy here!! schools are closed, and lots of the city's store's are closed till the roads get better. Since School is out, all the kids pull out their sleds that have been hiding in the shed over the summer, and find the steepest hill to zip down! Me and my siblings were part of this sledding endeavor. Cheyenne, Sierra, Shae, Me, Gok, Jaryd,and Jacob Palfrey went to a road called Haliburton road that was super steep! This hill was curved and sketchy, but as dumb kids we found it as an adventure ready to be conquered. We all go one by one, Zipping down the hill with uncontrollable speed. Being the wimp I am, I went down slowly keeping my legs in front to stop me every once in a while when I felt like I was going to fast. I didn't like the idea of not knowing what was on the bottom of the hill so in my own way, I was scoping it out. half way to the bottom, a cement road block comes into view to greet me. I stop myself a couple feet from it pick up the sled and decide this hill is to dangerous. On my way to tell everyone that the hill we were sledding down probably wasn't the safest choice, I see Jacob and Shae sharing a tube, speed past me. My eyes follow them as they go down the hill and watch as the tube starts to turn around, which puts them in the position of flying down the hill backwards. I yell out to watch out but it was no use. They crashed right into the Cement road block, Shae hitting it right on, and snaps her leg on the side of the cement block. I hear, her yelling but I can't make out the words. It sounds like she is laughing but why would she still be lying down? I laugh nervously yelling to her "NICE WIPE OUT!" Then I understand what she is yelling.. "I CANT FEEL MY LEG!" suddenly I realize her laughing actually sounds like crying. I run down the hill in desperation as fast as I can, dropping my sled. I find her with her hood covering her face. I lift it up praying that she is laughing, and I realize she is crying, streams of tears covering her face. I look to her legs trying to figure out what is going on, and I see her left leg looks odd. I lift it at around the calf area and find that it flops in an unnatural way, Shae screams out in pain, I spring into action. "SHAE BROKE HER LEG!!" I scream with desperation. My hand reaches for the phone in my jacket and fumbles for the numbers that first come to my head. As I run up the hill as fast I can the phone is ringing in my ear, and kids are rushing down the hill looking at my distressed face as we cross each others paths. Finally a voice interups my thoughts through my ear. "Hello?", "MOM! SHAE BROKE HER LEG! WHAT DO I DO?"I yell into the phone trying to stay calm. "Shae WHAT? Call 911 quick!" I hung-up with out saying good bye. I reach the top of the hill and tell Jaryd that Shae broke her leg. He looks at me with shock and runs down the hill with out a single word and I break out in a steady run down the hill trying not to slip at the same time and fumbling on the tiny blackberry punching the numbers '911' in and slamming the phone up to my ear once more, waiting with urgency for a voice... Finally- "911 what is your emergency?" I try to steady my voice but it doesn't seem to work ."WE WeRe SLedDinG aNd MY CouSIn BRokE hEr LEG!" My voice wobbles, while I try to keep in my tears and from blacking out. The lady on the other end tells me to wait, and a man comes onto the line and asks where I am. "I Am aT HiLBurTon RoAD" I got to the bottom of the hill to find Shae's head on top of Cheyenne's lap, crying saying "It hurts so bad!". The man on the other end of the line interrupts my panicky thoughts once more. "What did you say?" I realized that I was no help at all, so I quickly tell the man to talk to my friend, I shove the phone into Jaryd's face "Tell them where we are" I say to him. Jaryd takes and phone and calmly tells the paramedics all the details. I kneel down to Shae sprawled on the ground and notice her green face. I reassure her that everything is going to be okay and that an ambulance is coming for her.

The Ambulance came 10 minutes later following close was my dad and my sister Malia. By that time I had already ran up and down the hill 6 times trying to keep my sanity.The paramedics had all the men carry up Shae. Never, since I have known her have I heard her scream, and cry in so much agony when they carried her to the top of that hill.

Shae is now in the hospital, she just finished getting surgery, and they are now in the middle of mending her leg now.

I have discovered how brave my Shae is. She kept Surprisingly calm for a broken girl, and I was the one freaking out. I did what I could at the moment, but when I witness an accident My mind just doesn't process properly like other peoples might. I am just glad Shae just broke her leg and didn't crack her head or worse. I love my Shae! This whole thing has been devastating to me! It was hard to see her in that state, and I have missed her terribly! I love you Shae!

-Tanisha.

2 comments:

  1. i'm so glad to hear that shae is doing well. tanisha, you are a smart girl. i know how it feels to panic and be frozen in an emergency. you did what was right. good job!! and you have a beautiful talent for writing my dear! you should pursue this. i could completely envision all that happened to you. our prayers are with your family at this time! much love from our house!
    dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tanisha, that is so tragic! I am glad that she only broke her leg. I hope she heals well. That is a scary thing to go through.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...